In Illinois, a charge of criminal sexual abuse can be upgraded to a Class 2 felony if during the offense:
- You use a dangerous weapon or other object such that the victim reasonably believes you have a dangerous weapon;
- You cause the victim bodily harm;,/li>
- The victim is age 60 or older or has a physical disability or severe intellectual disability;
- You threaten or endanger the victim or some other person’s life;
- The sexual conduct is committed during the course of any other felony;
- You drugged the victim without their consent or by threat or deception;
- You committed a sex act with a family member under age 18;
- You are at least 17 and the victim is under age 13 or you used or threaten force on a victim who is at least 13 but under age 17;
- You are under age 17 and the victim is under age 9 or you use force or threaten force on a victim who is at least age 9 but under age 17;
- The victim is at least 13 but under age 18 and you are over age 17 and hold a position of trust or supervision such as a teacher or security guard.
If you have been charged with a sexual offense, contact an experienced criminal law attorney immediately. An attorney can review your case for your best possible defense. As with most crimes, the state must prove all the elements of the underlying sexual offense as well as any aggravating factors beyond a reasonable doubt. Can the state accurately identify you? How reliable is the witness’s recollection of events? Is there any possibility you were falsely accused? Was the evidence against you properly handled? Even if the evidence against you is overwhelming, an attorney who is respected in the courthouse may be able to negotiate a more favorable plea agreement than you could on your own.
If you have questions about this or another related Illinois criminal or traffic matter, please contact Matt Keenan at 847-568-0160 or email email@example.com.
(Besides Skokie, Matt Keenan also serves the communities of Arlington Heights, Chicago, Deerfield, Des Plaines, Evanston, Glenview, Morton Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles, Northbrook, Park Ridge, Rolling Meadows, Wilmette and Winnetka.)