You were convicted for possession of a controlled substance. The court gave you supervision, or if you had a felony, you may have received probation. As a result, you must submit to random drug testing. You knew you couldn’t pass, so you switched your urine sample with a friend’s.

Somehow, the probation officer figured it out. Now, you are facing a violation on your original case as well as a new felony. The violation alone means you can be resentenced on the original case, and in certain circumstances, you may be charged with a Class 2 felony, punishable by 3 to 7 years in prison.

What can you do?

First, it is imperative that you hire an experienced attorney who is respected at the court house and familiar with the court officials involved. It is usually difficult to defend these cases on the facts alone, which are usually pretty clear. A good working relationship between your attorney and the court can be essential in negotiating a more favorable plea agreement. Furthermore, an attorney can help you present evidence of your otherwise good character.

If you have questions about this or another related Illinois criminal or traffic matter, please contact Matt Keenan at 847-568-0160 or email matt@mattkeenanlaw.com.

(Besides Skokie, Matt Keenan also serves the communities of Arlington Heights, Chicago, Deerfield, Des Plaines, Evanston, Glenview, Morton Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles, Northbrook, Park Ridge, Rolling Meadows, Wilmette and Winnetka.)

Spread the love
This entry was posted in drug testing, narcotics, possession of a controlled substance, possession of narcotics, urine sample, violation of probation. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply